Autumn Happenings at the Marsh: Fundraising Event
Join us Sunday, November 7th, 2021 for a Fundraising Event at Collins Marsh to raise money for the purchase of an electric golf cart to assist people with mobility impairment on our trails.
Join in the fun as we…
12:00 – 3:00pm
- Grill Brats and Hamburgers ($3.00)
- Birding out the back door of the nature center with spotting scope and binoculars – guide will be present to help you identify birds and another guide to demonstrate using “ebird.”
- String lights on the 110-foot tower
- Plant tulips for the Journey North Test Gardens to track changes in seasons and climates across the globe.
- For a $10.00 donation, you can drop a pumpkin from the tower at 40 feet. A “smashing” good time!
About This Fundraiser
We are requesting funds for an electric six-seat golf cart to transport people that have mobility issues. The marsh area has trails that they have great difficulty using. With a golf cart they can enjoy what the marsh has to offer. For example, in the spring they would be able to enjoy the calling of the frogs as we slowly and quietly drive along the trail that follows the water’s edge. Quietly sitting for a few minutes and listening to the chorus frogs, or leopard frogs, or tree frogs, not to mention the bullfrogs, brings a smile to the face of the listener when the croak is heard. Learning the names of the plants along the trail is not only interesting, but can also be entertaining – name a plant that is called nature’s toilet paper, a plant that provided glue for children years ago, a plant that is called the butter print plant and why – there is so much to tell about the plants that surround us. Everyone should be able to enjoy and understand the wonders of nature.
Our bird trail offers special delights for those that enjoy the antics of birds. Collins Marsh has the second greatest number of species of birds in Wisconsin. Please check out ebird.org/hotspot/L266979. Again, traveling quietly along the trail, stopping to listen and watch – with binoculars in hand – so many birds to see and learning to identify by sound….. what a great experience that all should be able to enjoy!
The dates and information listed here are subject to change. Please call to verify dates and details.