A Walking Excursion in Downtown Manitowoc
From the S.S. Badger Carferry dock, walk a few blocks north on Quay Street to Manitowoc’s downtown.
– First sight to see is the Manitowoc Public Library.
– On a Tuesday evening or Saturday morning, visit our open-air Farmers’ Market featuring an assortment of fruits & vegetables, flowers and quality crafts.
Then choose your own adventure…turn left or turn right…
* TURNING LEFT (west off of Quay St. onto S. 8th St.)
– On the corner, stop in at the Manitowoc Trading Company for a selection of Manitowoc souvenir items, then stroll south and grab a wrap or panini at Wrap It Up.
– Cross the street to the east side of 8th St. to take a look at the historic Capitol Civic Centre, a restored vaudeville theatre.
– Up the steet and on the corner, dine at the Award-Winning Courthouse Pub (restaurant), our very own microbrewery that’s open for lunch and dinner.
– After dining, cross S. 8th Street to our lovely 100+ year old Courthouse. Step inside to see the magnificent architecture and beautiful ornate ceilings.
– In the mood for shopping? Walk west of the Courthouse on Washington St. to Golden Ring Folklore Music Store and Crystal Pathway (crystals/gemstones/jewelry).
– Turn right on 10th St. for Legend Larry’s legendary and award winning Wings.
– Heading north on 10th St., turn right on Quay St. for some specialty burgers & sandwiches or enjoy one of 17 draft beers at The Fat Seagull.
* TURNING RIGHT (off of Quay St. onto N. 8th St.)
– Crossing over the bridge you will see the Wisconsin Maritime Museum and USS COBIA, a fully restored World War II submarine.
– Walk along N. 8th Street to visit our unique shops including Beerntsen’s Confectionery, an old-fashioned candy store and ice cream parlor, and A>cute Angle (gift shop).
– Continue on N. 8th St. to other places of interest such as Natural Market (health & gourmet store), Bike N’ Fit, Rahr-West Art Museum (1.17mi.) (FREE) and Beans N’ Cream (1.57mi.) (coffee & ice cream shop) on the corner of New York and N. 8th St.
– Further up on N. 8th St., a great spot to visit is the Lincoln Park Zoo (1.89mi.) (FREE).
ZIG-ZAGGING EAST & WEST OFF N. 8TH St.
– Browse through the following specialty shops and delights: Kim’s Classic Closet (ladies second-hand shop), Revolutions Bar & Grill, and Bakery on State.
– Harborside Restaurant, Maretti’s, or Parkers Elbow Room (restaurants), a perfect stop before or after you visit the Wisconsin Maritime Museum.
– Need a little pampering? Drop in Rose Colored Glasses for a manicure or pedicure.
IN THE MOOD FOR A LITTLE RECREATION?
– Behind the Wisconsin Maritime Museum starts the Mariners Trail, six miles of paved trail along the coast. It is a wonderful opportunity to walk or bike your cares away. Bike rentals are available at nearby locations, please see our visitors guide (pg.18).
– Continuing on the Mariners Trail, you’ll find the following attractions: Manitowoc Marina’s Ship’s Store and the
Manitowoc Breakwater Lighthouse (and dog run area).